Sunday, May 2

Cooking in plastic ...

... sometime last week a twerp, @becford74, mentioned oven bags and how she'd seen an advertisement for some. Ms @Becford74 believed she may have been feverishly hallucinating because nobody cooks in plastic bags, that would be madness!
Aha, fellow twerp @Reemski and I chimed in. Our mothers used to do it although we couldn't remember why. I tweeted I'd give it a go, should I find one of these magic bags at the 5th circle of hell that is Coles, at the weekend.
Find some I did, a packet of four. Not the same as those mentioned by @becford74, those came with "flavour sachets", something I'd not use anyway, so no loss. I popped them into the trolley, adjusted my weekly menu and went forth to score myself a mid-range, free-range chook. (Why, yes, I DID oil the baking dish, I was on automatic pilot, I rinsed and dried and started again, rest assured.)
Well, if it failed horribly it would be a $20-odd failure rather than a $35+ failure. One must be pragmatic about these things.
I read the package carefully, following the instructions fearfully, and then made a quick call to the mother just to be certain. I'm sure the manufacturers know their stuff but mother knows best. Really, she does!
Spoonful of flour shaken all about - checkPunch a few holes in the bag - check(ish) (Mum said she always put the holes at the twist tie end, I'd punched them all over. I feared the worst, exploding bag "splattering hot juices" all over the shop. "It WON'T explode" quoth the Mouse Mother!)
Bag tied shut with bit ripped off the bag - checkStuffed full of real life flavour enhancers, rather than chemical packet stuff, into the oven it went. (I'd forgotten you could put the spuds in the bag too, so the jacket potatoes and an eggplant for baba for later went into another tray. I'm nothing if not thrifty McHousewife, me!)
"But will it brown Mum?"
"Oh yes, it's a clear bag. It will brown beautifully."
"WHY did you cook in a bag?"
"It made the most wonderful terrine."
Yes, apparently if you cook a little over the recommended cooking time, despite the DIRE warnings on the box, the meat falls off the bones. You just wait until it's cool enough to touch, pull out the bones and pour the meat and all the juices into a terrine mould. When cool the gelatin in the juices holds it into a wonderful terrine, or brawn or whatever. That's my next trick!So, did it brown? Why yes, amazingly the skin was parchment dry, crisp and gobbly good.Were there juices? O my, yes, and easily poured out of the bag into the saucepan for cooking down with a little flour for the most wonderful gravy!
Was it good? Why yes, it was moist, even the breast meat and full of flavour (I'd have been pissed if it hadn't been I'll admit).
Will the Brown Mice do it again? You know, I think we might, the two smallest, furriest members of the household certainly think we should. Tummys full as butcher's kittehs!.

21 comments:

Zoomie said...

I recall doing that years ago but now worry about the toxicity of the plastic...

Susan said...

In the land of 'Way Back When' I used those funny bags. I remember the meat would be juicy and the top crispy brown. And there would be juice for seemingly gallons of tasty gravy, leftover gravy went into a soup to use up the bits of meat leftover.
Which makes me think, I have a couple of those bags in the bottom of the bread drawer, bread shares the drawer with the plastic wrap, baggies, and foil.
I'm making roast beast in a bag tonight!

Susan
http://susan-potpouri.blogspot.com/

e said...

I've seen these before, but never tried them myself. Might do it now. And of course you know it worked because you got the kitty seal of approval.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Zoomie, I grew up eating chook in a bag and seem fine - I'm willing to risk it for the juicy chook. I'm thinking of suggesting it to Cookie, given her roast chicken trials.
Susan, beast in a bag, most excellent, good luck.
E - do, if only to be blasted back into the 70s. Ahh those were the days, the days when someone cooked MY dinner for me :)

cookiecrumb said...

Fabulous. I'm almost tempted.
I LOVE your mother's terrine idea. Simplicity.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Cookie, give it a go, it may be your roast chicken saviour!
I can vouch for the jellyness of the juices, the little that didn't make it into the gravy set on the plate within 1/2 an hour, perfect for terrine (also for greedy furry sharks). I'm making a terrine this weekend, I've decided!

Clara said...

Frozen corn on the cob
Does real well in plastic bags
try it.

cookiecrumb said...

Cranky bought oven bags today! EEE!

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Cookie, I'd recommend turning the oven ever so slightly higher than the recommended temp! Good luck!

cookiecrumb said...

OK! Sounds slightly transgressive, but I'm all about sin.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Breaking the rules baby, that's what makes life worth living! Wheeeeeeee !

Roo said...

I've never thought of suffocating my food before ;o)

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Roo, try it, sufforcation moistens it would seem :)

Roo said...

:o) well I never!

Ms Brown Mouse said...

:D

Ilva said...

this is true food blogging! I bow to you!

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Why thank you Ilva, will now have to plan my next trick most carefully!

Pink Granite said...

I know the bags, but have never tried them. Can't remember if Mom did or not...
Thanks for all the detailed information!
;o)
- Lee
P.S. I have sticker shock over the price of the chicken

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Lee, really? why so? You have to pay, I'm afraid, to eat and not feel horribly guilty about it (I won't tell you what the cats eat :))

Pink Granite said...

No, no not talking about guilt.
US & AU dollars are quite close at the moment and the price per pound struck me as high - even for organic, free range etc. That's all.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Lee, hmmm, free-range must be cheaper over your way then because $21 is quite cheap, well, mid-range anyway. My favourite free-range chickens are about $35 each. I make sure we get at least two meals out of those birds!