Sunday, February 14

Zombie tomatoes ...

... it's been raining for near-on 40 days and 40 nights now.
Well, almost, long enough for it to feel like it'll never stop.
The humidity is in the 80s, the high 80s, most days. Everything is slightly damp, or sticky. My bare feet stick to the floors. If we didn't have a heated towel rail we'd be mopping ourselves off with damp towels in the morning.
The house looks like a laundry, since I can't dry anything outside. Even the inside-dried stuff never feels really, dry. Not that lovely sun-crisped dry you (well I) look for in my washing.
And to top it off, the rain's brought out the snails, slugs and rain-borne zombie-flesh diseases, all landing on our lovely tomato crop.Our not-so-lovely tomato crop.It's my fault, I planted late, we should just be harvesting the stragglers now.Instead the glut, so eagerly anticipated, is just rotting on the vine.I'm marking the calendar for next time. I intend for us to be eating the glut as a celebration of the new year, next year.

8 comments:

Pink Granite said...

So sad...
...and pretty darned disgusting too.
Time for post-photo composting.

Zoomie said...

Hum-didity, the plague of mankind. Sympathy sending.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Lee, we'll have to bin them, can't have the disease in the compost for next year :(
Zoomie, tomata pox!

Roo said...

We had the same thing this year, it affected a lot of people! Darn it

cookiecrumb said...

Really cruddy. The sad thing is the dashed expectations; they were your babies!

e said...

Bummer, that looks like such a waste.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Roo, don't say my lovely tomatoes got the English POX!!! Gasp!
Cookie, the potential, it's the wasted potential that crushes so cruelly.
E - well, I guess the snails enjoyed it :/

Roo said...

Good word Pox ... ;o)