Sunday, November 11

Rocket ...

... yesterday I said I'd have to do something about the rampant rocket taking over the salad bed. So I did. All harvested it filled a washing (laundry) basket and I spent some time suffering the cricket on TV (Mr Brown turned it on) plucking leaves and dividing them into 2 piles, big leaves for pesto and little leaves for a salad. Washed and minced (and with plenty of pine nuts, olive oil and Parmesan cheese added of course), all that rocket became about 300g of rocket pesto. The most amazing green, peppery, tangy pesto.
In other news, Ping introduced me to her pet flea, Ferdinand, last night. My fault, I should have started the annual anti-flea regime last month but forgot. So it started last night with that toxic squeeze-on-the-back-of-the-neck stuff being administered to both furry girls and a good bedding wash and vacuum this morning. The calender is marked for the next toxic dose. Things should be fine from now on. It's funny though, how as soon as I spotted Ferdinand I started to itch.

5 comments:

Pink Granite said...

Cool! I never thought of using Rocket in this way!

As for the travelers on the cats - ick! itch! scratch! ick!!!! We've had thankfully few outbreaks over the years but it never fails to make me feel invaded!

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Lee, we've had cats forever but never encountered a flea until we moved warm & humid Sydney. The first time I spotted one (first summer here) I totally FREAKED, we toxic-washed & then powered the cats, bombed the house and if cooler heads (Mr Brown's) had not preveiled, I'd have burned all bedding - cats' & humans'! Nowdays we've got a routine and the first new moon of october I start flea treatments - plain forgot this time - but I won't for the rest of the summer, that's for sure.

LBA said...

We did a cockroach spray yesterday - fleas aren't so much a problem here [ touch wood ! ].

Pesto looks amazing. I always leave my rocket too long, so I don't get so much in the way of sweet little leaves...

Urban Koda said...

As someone who has been in a cricket vaccuum for many years, please advise Mr. Brown that he is welcome to watch some on my behalf.

These American amongst whom I am forced to live, just lack a taste for the finer things in life...

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Arrg, cricket, it's just another reason to hate summer to me!