Wednesday, July 7

The wines ...

... I mentioned wine last post, didn't I? Six-and-a-half cases finding their way, somehow, into the ute? Yep, plus some Australian made gin and apple schnapps (m0re about those laters).
No, we aren't particularly heavy drinkers, not at all.So, after a morning truffle hunting, and a wonderful antipasto/plowmans' lunch, we were let loose on the Orange Region wineries.
First stop Dindima and I'm ashamed to admit it was chosen as the first stop solely based on the prettiness of its label. Yep, I'm that shallow. Still, you have to start somewhere and it turned out to be an excellent choice. The lovely Lee (I've yet to meet a Lee I didn't like), mother of the winemaker James Bell, walked and talked us through the entire range. We got to meet Dave too, the winemaker's dad, who was trying to get the new wine warm enough to start second fermentation. It was a "fucking freezing" day remember.
The wine was wonderful, Mr Brown got a little overexcited on the Shiraz front, and we walked away richer by several cases.
Next stop, Canobolas-Smith Wines, hand-made wines no less!
This time Justin talked us through the collection. I was particularly impressed with the Wild-Yeast Chardonnay, which may not sound unusual but I'm not usually a Chardonnay drinker these days. Murray Smith, the winemaker, who was wearing SHORTS, assisted us with boxing up our extensive selection and we pootled off once more.
Last stop was Philip Shaw wines. This was the prettiest vineyard and winery and it's the spot I finally remembered Rupert was still in the car and should have been taking photos.
Enjoy.

O, yes, the wine, fantastic, just fantastic. AND the prettiest and most quirky of all the wine labels too.

10 comments:

Zoomie said...

One of my favorite Napa Valley vintners makes wild yeast white wine and it's delicious! I wish more would do it that way - it makes wonderful, light wines.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Zoomie, exactly! Chardonnay is usually too 'big' for me but the wild yeast variety was delish, very, very drinkable.

cookiecrumb said...

I have a Chardonnay vine going great guns in the back yard. It is not for wine. Grapes, and grape leaves!

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Cookie - are they good eating?

cookiecrumb said...

In three years, we have only eaten two Cabernet grapes, and they were very good, but the seeds are quite prominent. Hoping we'll get a crop this summer.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Ah, grape seeds, I hear possum crunch them when I feed her grapes.

cookiecrumb said...

Been wondering about poss. Good!

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Poss is fine it's just we get home late lately, tis dark, cold and raining, not good for poss photos :(

Roo said...

I love the "we are not particularly heavy drinkers" comment!

I recall Lee and Chuck saying something similar after they raided three shops in a row for a nice bottled beer and came home with the car crammed full (I may be paraphrasing here, but you get me drift) ;o)

Now I am really excited.. the next two weeks at work will be hell!

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Roo, we aren't, really ;)
We are over stocked, and need someone to help empty a bottle or two of red stuff, the weather is perfect for it right now!