Monday, April 12

I've given up ...

... Trying to have matching glassware, just given up.
The other night was the straw that broke the long-suffering camel's back, yet another wine glass broken by the "washing up fairy". I used to blame him, accuse him of deliberatly breaking glasses so he wouldn't have to do the washing up, but it's been years and that little ploy hasn't worked out for him. I now suspect he's either just plain clumsy or he's thinking about other stuff and just forgets he's got a goblet in his hand. Either way I've, as I said, given up on the idea of matchy matchy when it comes to the vessels from which we will drink our wine from now on.
I've always rather admired the whole, mix and match "whatever" look and have decided to give it a go. So, to go with our 1/2 dozen or so plain but servicable but not matching wine glasses I've ordered, via the wibbly wobbly interwebs:-
Two of these; two of these; two of these; and (ooo I love these ones) two of these.I was going to say I couldn't afford to buy a full 1/2 dozen or 8 of any of these but have just realised I basically just did, only not, if you see what I mean.

10 comments:

Zoomie said...

I've always used mismatched glasses, too, and I think it adds to the charm of the table. Yours are lovely.

Roo said...

I like that idea!

We have some everyday glasses but when we have folks around we get out some grand glassware, John Rocha designed "Geo" by Waterford. we where fortunate to be gifted a lot of certificates for our wedding, and this is what we used them for.

I like the idea of mismatched plates to but the OCD in me won't hear of it ;o)

cookiecrumb said...

Ooh, that's *exactly* the way to do it! I even scavenge interesting goblets at thrift stores. Fun

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Zoomie, needs must but yes, I am hoping it's charmling.
Roo, Mr Brown doesn't smash plates, so we have full sets of all white!
Cookie, from now on my eyes will be peeled for finds!

Pink Granite said...

I agree the breakage is not Mr. Brown's fault. In my extended family's experience goblets are insanely fragile!

I did the same thing with champagne flutes. Whenever I saw a good deal on two pretty ones in a department store or TJ Maxx or Home Goods I snapped them up. Now we have enough to go around for festive toasts!

I wish we could have some lovely everyday white plates to mix and match with, but our water is so full of iron and manganese that the dishwasher does a number on them. Cream and beige plates hide a multitude of sins.
;o)
- Lee

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Lee, creamware, I LOVE creamware - does yours have little bobbles & divots around the edge?

Zoomie said...

Morgan, here's a link you will love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bTbAsmPOKo

Have fun!

suzy said...

i looooooove the first one.

Sue said...

Oooh - I like!! I have a glasses fettish and since my husband was a wine maker, I have a cupboard stuffed with beautiful (mostly) glasses. I love the idea of mixing and matching!

Sue

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Suzy, it's "rustic" apparently, pfft, I'm betting it will break just as easily as the rest.
Sue, is being married to a winemaker ultimately as disapointing as being married to a plumber or a builder? (ie, they don't bring work home?)