Tuesday, February 2

Forgotten floors...

... when we first moved into the Brown Mouse House I was most enamoured with the wooden floors. Our last house was built on a nasty concrete slab, so the look, the sound and the feel of wooden floorboards was a lovely surprise. For years we used to roll up the carpets for summer, it seemed cooler even if it really wasn't, and we'd roll them out again when it chilled up a bit.Small's last week or so was a bit messy. She hated it and we hated it, although the cleaning up has convinced me (almost) that I just may be able to change a nappy. It would be noisy and horrifying, but I wouldn't actually die from it.Part of our managing Small's little problem was to roll up the carpets. Wooden boards are much, much easier to clean. I'd forgotten the floorboards, their modest gleam, their quirky markings (several of the larger ones mistaken for little accidents), the glow that shone off them in the afternoon.These photos don't show the colour or glow at it's best, but believe me, it's quite lovely.
I think we'll leave the carpets rolled for a bit.

10 comments:

e said...

That made me cry all over again, missing Small. But what a lovely thing, to rediscover those gorgeous floors. One more Small gift from her. The floors really are stunning.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

E, sorry, but the silliest things keep making me cry too. Last night it was finding a little white whisker on a cushion. I don't even know it was one of hers ... but still.
Ping's not keen on the no carpet thing, no traction you see!

Roo said...

Ok stop with the crying, I've got music from Brief Encounter playing and I'm just holding it together. (honest, it's on the radio and I'm sat gawping at the pc like a fool)

Anyhoo - I would kill for wooden floors, please promise me you'll cherish them ;o)

Pink Granite said...

Ping's really had her snow globe shaken. Between Small's passing, gleaming wood floors and the dreaded d-i-e-t things are at sixes and sevens.

Over the years an inordinate amount of our home decorating and improvements has been in response to the needs of our four legged family members.

Enjoy the beautiful floors and all the sweet memories - yes, tears and all...
- Lee

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Roo, sorry, I don't mean to. And yes, we'll take care of the floors. I've even swept!
Lee, yep, and now we're trying to think of a way we can cover the leather chairs when we bring home a little sister for Ping, kittens have such sharp little claws and don't care where they run.

Pink Granite said...

Oh plans - I had wondered after your kitten Tweet.
Good luck...

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Lee, there's a remote possibility we can have a kitten from Pingu's mum, cross your fingers. Ping needs company, for reals.

Zoomie said...

There is nothing so perfect for flooring than wood. Lucky you. We have mostly carpets, and they are mostly stained from generations of pets.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Zoomie, pet stains are what make a house a home, or so we keep telling ourselves :)

Zoomie said...

Then we must be very much at home! ;-D