Saturday, January 30

A safe subject ...

... bees.
I'm not really able to talk or type about my Small much yet, my eyes keep leaking.
But my bees, my blue banded bees continue to enthrall. So I'll share some recent delights, brought to you by the magical Rupert.
I may have mentioned before, they like to sleep in groups, like fuzzy grapes along a vine strand or flower stem. I grow those pink things at the front because the bees seem to like them.
Watching the bees coming in and settling in for the night is HIGHLY entertaining. They like to be together but don't encourage each other once settled. Their discouragement takes the form of wild leg waggling. When a fellow bee gets too close their little legs go wibbly wild. A fair bit of bum wriggling goes on too.
But eventually, they all settle down for the night. That's 7 together there. The most I've seen this season, but one year I counted 13 hanging from a snail vine tendril. I did not have Rupert then, curses.For all their "s'orf you-ing, once settled they stick remarkably close together.Eyeball to eyeball in some cases.
Next I will share the mystery insect! Stay tuned!

12 comments:

Uli said...

Great photos.

Are you secretly David Attenborough?

Pink Granite said...

Wow!
You and Rupert are rocking it with the bees!

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Uli, at collage I did a spoof doco staring Atten Davidborough!
Lee, we are the A-Bee team!

S said...

Crikey that is some macro - eyeballs indeed!

Ms Brown Mouse said...

S, you just gotta love the madro eh?

Zoomie said...

Reminds me of when My Beloved and I settle in to sleep - close, but not too close. There's some grumbling and leg wiggling 'til we get it right.

cookiecrumb said...

Australia is Pandora.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Arrrggg, that would be maCro!
Zomie, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about :)
Cookie, we really must hustle down and go see that movie!

Roo said...

Love these bees - maybe I can sneak some back if we make it over there this year!

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Roo,
I suspect you'd get into terrible trouble if you tried to sneak one past customs. HOWEVER, if you are in the neighbourhood, at the right time of year, then I could let you pat ours!

Roo said...

Morgan we are trying to get out late July - early August time. Our friends are in Angaston 77km north east of Adelaide. So we think we are opposite you, but not sure what that is in days/weeks journey ;o)

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Roo, ahaahahahahaaaa, ADELAIDE?? Umm, that's about a 12 hour or so drive to our place - so, a quick visit to see the bees not on the cards :( Nevermind, July/August is wintertime so my blue banded buddies will have gone to ground!
Mr Brown and I drove to Adelaide for a weekend once, but we were young and terribly foolish then.