Sunday, October 11

No, no, no ...

... No, no, no, no!
The Hitchhiker Trilogy was a defining part of my latter high school years. The books that is. I later listened to the radio series (GOLD!) and later still the television series, (OK-ish). The movie was, of course, total and utter crap, really, really terrible.
But the books, those three magnificent books, they made me laugh when nothing else did. The years between 14 and 16 or so are pretty horrible, especially when you are a girl, particularly when you are a square peg not even trying to fit into the round hold most of your contemporaries are fitting into. There's not much to smile or laugh about.
And then my friend K handed me The Hitchhiker' Guide to the Galaxy. It was brilliantly clever, funny, and a little bit poke the establishment in the eye. I loved it. I still love it. It's one of those books you return to again and again when you need a giggle. Language from the book still pepper my life, things are still, "froody", we regularly sip jinantonix, and when referring to milk, I often add the clarification, "as squeezed, from a cow".
I rushed out and bought myself The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, and Life, The Universe and Everything, and loved them too. Light was shone onto my blighted, dark and terrible teenage life.*
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish and Mostly Harmless followed. They never lived up to the first three, seemed a little like Mr Adams was just going through the motions, bolstering his bank account (who can blame him really?). Ok reads, but I've never bothered to re-read, if you see what I mean.
I will NOT be spending any of my pretty Australian dollars on Eoin Colfer's efforts. WILL NOT.



*or so it seemed at the time**, looking back, of course, I had it easy, so easy I actually feel slightly guilty about it sometimes.
** I was a teenage girl FFS!

4 comments:

Pink Granite said...

The books from our childhood and teen years are so important. The good ones really were life lines.

Perhaps it might be true what the reviewer wrote:
"...it's clear this is a triumph. Colfer has pulled off the near-impossible. It's faithful to Adams's humour and, more important, it's also got his rhythm, the cadences and the footfalls that made his style so often (badly) imitated."
- Lee

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Lee, perhaps it might be true, but I am too afraid to risk it. I'm just going to reread the originals :)

S said...

have either of you read the pippi longstocking stories by Astrid Lindgren? brilliant apparently, have been recommended for my big girl.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

I have, I loved it! Highly recommended for the girl.