Sunday, October 11

I'm a bit of an anarchist ...

... or I would be if I lived in much of the United States* (thanks to Lee over at Pink Granite for the linkie). Yes, that's right people, I dry my laundry OUTSIDE on a clothes line and everything (listen to the song!).
Our sheets, shirts, knickers and socks flap in the wind and the sun and dry without using any energy. Well, sometimes my arms get a little tired, and I've been known to snack after hanging about a whopping big load, but, seriously, not much actual electricity is expended getting the washing done at the Brown-Mouse House.
We don't actually own a dryer, this is by choice, it's only inconvenient from time to time, during a prolonged rain spell for instance. But when that happens I whip up the racks in the spare room and leave the window open.
Granted, this is no good for sheets, but we own so many sets of sheets we could go months without running out.
Our line is a folding, rotary Hills Hoist. We can fold it up, pull it out and set up our outside table in a couple of minutes.
Mr Brown & I grew up with fixed rotary Hills Hoists. We both swung from them and used them to make tents. Our parents didn't get dryers until well after we left home.
Now, I understand dryers are handy, particularly when you live somewhere where it snows 1/2 the year, but when the sun is shining, give it a go. Nothing smells better than sun-dried clothes. And there's not much better than climbing into a bed made up with crisp, smooth, sun-dried sheets. It's blissmaking.
A few tips to novices, learned from my mother, I pass them to you.
* Peg your socks by the toes, not the tops.
* Use 3 pegs across the top of towels, it makes the dry shape better.* Bright colours and dark colours, peg them inside out, the sun fades things. You can use this to your advantage though, sun bleaching yellowing whites.* When it's important to keep something's "shape", hang it on an old hanger from the line.* Don't use wooden pegs, if they get wet they grew mold & mildew and can mark your laundry.
* Beware of bat poo and early morning bird poo, bring your washing in before it gets dark.
* And finally, enjoy the bringing it in experience. Feel and sniff your sun-dried laundry. Stand outside enjoying a quick shot of vitamin D folding your laundry straight off the line, it reduces the need to iron. And, if you have nice neighbours, chat over the fence while hanging out/bringing in. If your neighbours are dicks, turn your back and sing to yourself, who cares what they think anyway!




* Or in most strata-title homes in NSW, an issue that makes me froth with rage.

8 comments:

Pink Granite said...

Well done you Eco-Warrior!
Thanks for the pics of your nifty set up and for the multigenerational tips!

I had always assumed that line drying was much more onerous than machine drying. But I have found the opposite to be true. There is a lovely rhythm and meditative quality about the process of line drying.
;o)
- Lee

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Lee, it is a little bit of outdoor meditation. Rather like prepping dinner is kitchen meditation.

Zoomie said...

I'm a confirmed linedryer, too, and only use my electric dryer when, as you say, we have a prolonged wet spell. It actually takes LESS time than waiting endlessly for the dryer to finish, as the dryer runs far longer than the washer does. I hang 'em out as they emerge from the washer and can do several loads in about two hours, then go off and do even more fun things until late afternoon when I get to enjoy the scent of clean laundry and another shot of sunshine while I'm folding. I did this even when I was working and it's far more time-efficient.

I love the idea of hanging an American flag on the line while drying just to show that it's actually a patriotic act! :-) Thanks for the video clip!

cookiecrumb said...

It's now a "green" fashion statement to wear wrinkly clothes.
(I don't know where my iron is. Somewhere with the vacuum, I suspect.)

Oh, winter tip: Can you set up folding racks over or near heating vents indoors? It's what we do.

S said...

I am an eco warrior too - we have lovely clean sun bleached cloth nappies (diapers) flapping on our clothesline - don't see many of those round here!

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Zoomie, goodo, I'm glad you're with us.
Cookie, I've been making "green" fashion statements for some time!
We DO set up the racks by the heater vents, although we have to shove a cat or two out of the way to do it!
S - you must be the only person left in the world who does not use plastic nappies - which makes you a bit of an eco-hero!

Uli said...

I love this post. Esp the hanging tips.

I am apartment bound, but I don't have a dryer either. Everything just gets hung on racks in the spare room and sheets get hung over the dining room chairs - the benefits of living alone.

And I don't iron either. Because I am lazy.

Rumpled, air-dried clothes all around for me.

And on that note, the washing is done and I must go and hang it out.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Uli, I did the same when flat bound, or I'd wander to the laundrette and read books hoping some tall dark stranger would wander in and flirt with me!