Monday, September 14

Today we made it, we actually made it ...

... to the Guggenheim.
Of course, most of it was closed, preparing for the Kandinsky exhibition that starts after we leave town. But we got inside and saw some amazing works by Kandinsky, Picasso, Cezanne ... you get the picture.And the building. Wow.
Lunch was here, where I had the prosciutto, butter and arugula (rocket) panini and an affogato and Mr Brown had a huge panini with chicken and the works and then chocolate cake with ah hot, liquid middle. We had wine too, because we're on holiday and it's the civilised thing to do.
Then, because Mr Brown was just plain itching to do it, we went up the Empire State Building.I'll admit here and now, the view is far, far superior to the Top of the Rock. It just plain is.Tonight we have the place to ourselves again, and for this I am glad. I have observed at close range just what it is to live completely and utterly without vanity and I do not like.
Edited to add - I forgot, on the subway home, due to a "person on the tracks" which went on for so long we believe it was not a matter of chasing someone out of the way, we coped our first dose of NY 'tude! It was crowded, the 4 & 5 trains were cancelled, everyone was cramming into the 6, sardines would have complained of lack of room. I was staying upright holding onto Mr Brown, since none of the bars were within easy reach. When the train lurched, I bumped into a rather large-bottomed 'lady'.
"O, so sorry," said I, and was given a bit of a lecture about how "here in New York we hold the bars, that's what they fo!!".
"Really, how novel, in the rest of the world we just flop about hoping for the best" I muttered to Mr Brown. I got one of his "don't start anything" looks.
Of course my good response, thought up 10 minutes after we left the train, was "well, I'd have been able to if I'd have been able to reach past your enormous arse", but all I managed was a "lighten up" as we squeezed past and out the door.

10 comments:

Pink Granite said...

I can't wait to be able to answer Chuck's daily question of "Did they make it to the Gugg?" with a resounding yes!
I'm happy you did the Empire State Building. It's worth it just for the popcorn moments in "An Affair to Remember" and "Sleepless In Seattle"!
;o)
- Lee

Anonymous said...

I have always always wanted to go the the Guggenheim.. ok the next time I'm not pregnant and don't have small children in the house I'm going to America...!!!!!! How long do you still have? I am so enjoying the tour!! Ron xx

Urban Koda said...

With each passing day, my desire to visit the Big Apple is increasing! Thanks for sharing your trip!!

e said...

NYC is so awesome, I have always loved it and love it more with each post.

Zoomie said...

I love how you have dived into the Big Apple with wide open eyes and heart, ready to approve and enjoy everything so much. My own approach to that city is much more suspicious. I should go again now that you have shown me its good side.

cookiecrumb said...

Ooh, so glad you accomplished those two delights.


Also, Lee (because you're more likely to see it here), thanks a million for the kind words.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Well we've had a blast - and now must pack so we can leave before the city that never sleeps, wakes!

Pink Granite said...

Oh dear, the "Update" feels more like I remember NYC. But you have made the city positively tantalizing and I agree with Zoomie about your wonderful attitude.
Safe journey...
- Lee

Hi CookieCrumb -
You're welcome. It's a pain I am too familiar with and my heart goes out to you.
- Lee

Zee Poodle said...

Och, what a view - *stunning*. I am so loving NYC thru your postings, luvvie. I'll say the ESB beats The Rock hands down. No contest! xxx

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Lee, it was the one and only bad thing - and even that was pretty mild.
CAW - ESB, fab view but I'd hate to be there on a busy day, omy no!