Wednesday, September 16

Five hours on a plane isn't so very bad...

... if you haven't got another 12 or so to look forward to.
We've broken the trip home, a few days in San Francisco to recover, reduce the risk of DVT and eat ourselves sick. O and meet up with a reprobate or two.
First things first, we had clam chowder in a bowl made of sourdough bread. From here. I don't care if it's tacky and touristy, we are tourists and since we'd been up since 5am with only some apple crisps and cheddar snaps on the plane, we were starving. It was fine, the bread had a lovely, slightly-sour chewy crust. I may even buy a tea towel, so there.
Mr Brown sampled a local brew, which he pronounced most fine.
However, we saw loads of folk eating this stuff, all over the place.Can anyone tell me what the fuck it is?? It's freaking me out.
Then we followed our noses to the seals. It only took a few dry heaves until I got used to it. They are beautiful, golden beasts. All blissed out in the sunshine. I wish I could enjoy the dreaded day star like that.
We spotted that bridge, peeping out from the mist. We were warned this may happen but I'm sure we'll get a good shot at some stage. We made it to the Guggenheim afterall.
And then a bit of a wander about and I spotted this. It made me homesick.
And then I spotted this.At which stage I turned to Mr Brown and said, in no uncertain terms, "there is NO fucking way I'm walking up that".
So we booked a nice tour with Mr Toad, poop poop!

8 comments:

Pink Granite said...

The photo with the hand in it?
Sorry. I can't tell what I'm looking at.
It just looks like the top cut off the bread bowl.

But Mr. Toad's Tours look positively civilized!
Enjoy the West Coast!
;o)
- Lee

cookiecrumb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cookiecrumb said...

(I didn't like the line spacing in my previous comment...)

Welcome to the Barbary Coast! You'll find all sorts of decadence and damage to do here, the least of which might be chowder in a bread bowl. (you're forgiven)
After you get your nipple rings and the S&M for Starters Class out of the way, some local oysters might be nice.

(Your Friend ((--jealous--)) Not a Poodle sent warm hugs over BS's demise; what a dear. Thanks, un-Poodle.)

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Lee, it wasn't the top of the bread bowl, it was - yucky looking, like mashed spuds but ... horrible.
Cookie - NO to nibble rings, *silent scream* Local sea snot, taken care of ;)
We made vague attempts in the direction of the Cliffhouse but opted for a faceplant & snore session (him, not me, I don't snore).
Fuck I'm tired.

S said...

Not being American and only having visted there once, 8 years ago, my guess at what is in the bag should be taken with a grain of salt BUT i think they are called biscuits ...kinda like scones DMM - but most foul. When we were there people ate them at breakfast time, and lunch and dinner time too with gravy, sometimes with chicken...

Zoomie said...

Love watching the sea lions and seals - from upwind! I couldn't tell what the food was, either, and perhaps it's better that it remain a mystery...

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Right, if that stuff turns up on my plate I'm running away but otherwise I think I'm safe from the Mystery food.
Zoomie, I'm very much looking forward to tomorrow too!

Pink Granite said...

Re: Mystery Food -
I don't know where you ate, but just in case, I checked the menu at "Bistro Boudin" and couldn't find anything likely. Though they did have some mashed potatoes and scalloped potatoes.
Thinking about S's suggestion, it doesn't look well formed enough to be an American biscuit. (BTW, some are fabulous some are lead weights!)
Wondering about grits? But grits would likely be more liquidy-ish and in a bowl.
And what leaves me scratching my head is that none of these things make any sense to be eaten with chowder already in a bread bowl!
The mystery continues...
;o)
- Lee
P.S. We could always ask Mr. Brown to ask the diner or the waitstaff what it is!