Sunday, January 4

Sunday Soup ...

... Split Pea & Chorizo Soup from the Hungry Cravings blog.
Substitutions?
Well, It was chorizo sausage from the Italian butcher, not Mexican.
There was no beer in the house, Mr Brown not being in residence. And even though she was a little snippy about the importance of using Mexican oregano "dried Mexican oregano, which has a unique floral character, can be found at some gourmet grocers and (usually for less than a dollar) at any Mexican market. If you can’t find it, just omit it from the recipe; don’t substitute common oregano", I did, because there is no Mexican market nearby, not even close. It was home-grown though, and smells wonderful. None of the million-odd chillies either, just don't have that sort of fire power about the house, a nice roasted capsicum added to the flavour though.
O, and no lime. Although my red centre lime has fruited, the fruit is about the size of my pinkie fingernail.
It was lovely.

2 comments:

cookiecrumb said...

I hope I've never scolded anybody in a recipe.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

I doubt it, you're far to lovely & laid back for that.