Wednesday, October 1

The $6 million flower ...

... of course I exaggerate, but I estimate I've spent well over $100 over the last couple of years, trying to grow Fritillaria Meleagris (Snake's Head Fritillary). And wouldn't you know it, the first one that comes up is the white variety. All these years, all those bulbs, all that time and I don't even get a pretty checked one. (Go here to see what I should have got.)
Perhaps it's just not cold enough around here. Perhaps I just want it too much and sod's law is at play. But I got one up, and there's 2 more wee green sproutlings (that's out of 12 planted btw) so I'll give it a whack next year too.

6 comments:

Pink Granite said...

Congratulations!
It's very pretty - delicate and understated.

If it's a cold temperature thing, can you pop the bulbs in the refrigerator for a few weeks next winter???
Dunno - just thinking out loud...
;o)
- Lee

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Lee, I may give that a go - I'd better get more than one flowering out of the little bugger!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow - the red checkered ones are beautiful!

Ms Brown Mouse said...

S - yes they are, fingers crossed the two wee sproutlings are the purple variety!

Pink Granite said...

So glad I mentioned it!
I thought for sure I would get laughed off the blog!
Fingers crossed for flashy fuschia...
;o)
- Lee

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Lee, I've popped bulbs in the vegie crisper before (you pretty much don't get Daffs in Sydney without doing so), but I'm mostly too lazy to dig them up for another go at the end of the season.