Sunday, August 5

7 years ...

... today. That's how long Mr Brown & I have lived in our long, thin house.
We bought it before I'd even seen inside.I'd seen outside, saw the back yard from next door. Saw there was a tree and room to sun & air dry washing. Saw the inside of next door (the lovely former neighbours took pity on us as we'd turned up 5 minutes too late for inspection time, so lady neighbour said "our place is pretty much the same, come & see"). It was lovely. I told Mr Brown to have a look inside on Monday (I had to go back to work in Canberra, Mr Brown had already moved to his new Sydney job, the reason we needed a new house). If it was ok, if he thought I could live with it, he was to make an offer (I was in a mad panic, must find a home, with some sort of garden, preferably with a tree, for the furry girls). He went, it was, he thought I could, he did.
He did mention there was no bath, but one day we'll put one in.
He did mention I'd not be happy with the kitchen. He was right. On moving in day, I went to start unpacking the kitchen stuff, sat on the stair and cried - I thought there was no way I'd ever get everything in. The reason things are where they are today in the kitchen is all down to the fact that Mr Brown unpacked my kitchen for me while I wept.
But I do love the Brown-Mouse House's high patterned ceilings, her wooden floors, her quirky nothing quite square walls & doors, her antique plumbing, her creaks and groans.And so tonight, we toasted her with some fizz, patted her walls and are glad we came to stay.

8 comments:

Cosy said...

What a lovely house you live in. I particularly like the ceiling and fire place.

Happy 7th anniversary to you and the brown-mouse-house!

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Why thank you, clearly we're rather fond of it too. I'd always wanted to live in an old house and finally got to.

e said...

Yay long thin house!

Roo said...

I love that porch, and the high ceilings, nice colour too in the hallway, garden looks sunny, did I mention the porch, oh and the wooden floors, nice touch, and I'd kill for a real fire, and the porch, I like the porch

I may even be the tad'est jealous ;o) only the teeniest bit. Give your house a pat from us too x

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Hey Roo, isn't it funny - I actually DO pat the house and when we toasted her with fizz on Sunday, we tapped a wall with the glasses.
The porch is very nice, on late summer evenings - watching dragonflys and sipping cool white wine.

cookiecrumb said...

Happy housiversary. It's loovely.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

ta ever so Ms Crumb.
Oooh, & Roo, I've just noticed (duh) our hall walls are the same colour as your blog background - magnificent minds and all that eh?

Roo said...

Great minds think alike - it's actually the same colour as one of our bedrooms - called "HoneyBee" - when people stay int hat room, and the sun comes up in th emorning, it glows with this rich warm colour - fab

;o)