Wednesday, May 2

Three reasons why I like Sydney ...

... it's been almost 7 years since Mr Brown & I moved from the bush capital, Canberra, to Sydney. I was very much against the move - I pretty much cried for a week when Mr Brown announced that the move was basically necessary (that or living off my pathetic wage, no way that was going to happen). But, we moved and I figured it was best I make the most of a bad thing. Three things started me looking at Sydney in a more "friendly" way:
  1. Once we moved into the Brown-Mouse house, the first weekend, I did a little light laundry. It was August, the middle of wet & miserable cold winter back home. My washing was out and dried the same day. This was UNHEARD of at the same time of year in Canberra.
  2. Same weekend, sitting out in the back garden in the winter sunshine. The garden seethed with skinks. Little copper chappies from teeny to quite large (for skinks). I was thrilled. We had no wildlife of any kind (not counting ants and non-native bees) in the garden back in Canberra. I love the skinks and get a kick every time I hear a rustle in the leaf litter, I look down & it's a skink, dashing off somewhere skink-ily important.
  3. My first walk home from the bus stop, in the dark (August, remember). I was going up the street and I heart this soft "whafta-whoosh" above my head. I looked up and almost within touching distance a fruit bat flew overhead. I couldn't believe it, a real live fruit bat, in my street! Almost as exciting as finding a bebe wallaby had wandered into my cabin in a Tasmanian rain forest. Suburban Sydney just didn't seem so bad after that.

Of course many things since have made me realise Sydney isn't so bad really (possums in the garden, blue-tongued lizards at the front gate, an owl at the front door, the shops OMIF, the shops), but those three things helped me on my way to accepting that Sydney was not the epitome of evil and that I just might survive living here after all.

And one reason why I don't ...

... Walking up or down Pitt St or George St to or from the station to or from work - the ghastly smell of vomit every now and again. Every morning or evening. makes me gag.

8 comments:

Matsby said...

Sydney sounds pretty awesome from what I've heard and seen on TV.

(but what is a skink?)

Ms Brown Mouse said...

A Skink is a lizard, a little one. The kind that drops its tail when you grab it. Leaving a wriggling tail behind as they dash off to safety. Doesn't fool my cats though!

e said...

Vomit?? Who vomits in the streets?

Ms Brown Mouse said...

E, I strongly suspect that foolish young folk (& possibly some not so young) who have yet to learn the meaning of moderation are responsible for the vomit. There's quite a few pubs & clubs along those roads.

LBA said...

I hate Canberra. Really hate it.

So I can't really comment.
You'd probably *love* Melbourne ;)

Ms Brown Mouse said...

I do love Melbourne, I'd not have cried if Mr Brown had said we were going to Melbourne.
But don't hate poor old Canberra, I loved growing up in the bush capital. Twas a 10 minute bike ride to where I kept my pony. I could wander about after dark & feel safe, I could fly kites and run dogs for miles and miles. There were rivers to swim in, hills to climb, blackberries to pick. Learning to drive was a dream, wide practically empty roads. A real country childhood only with good schools and (reasonably) good shops. Ignore the fact that it's full of politicians for part of the year and you're fine.

caw said...

Sydney oh Sydney, how I love ya, how I love ya ... I have 1,000,000 reasons to love it and miss it, but I do concur about walking thru the city streets early in the mornings. I have many pics of the harbour on my office wall and can while away hours just gazing at it .... aaaahhhhhh.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Well yes CAW, but you're from the "other" side of the Bridge, so your opinion is slightly suspect ;)