Monday, January 8

Exotic fruit ...

... the lychee or rambutan. They were only $5 a kilo at the supermarket at the weekend (instead of the usual $14 or so), so Mr Brown & I indulged & bought a whole kilo. We've been eating them for days, with just a splish of real cream. They are so lovely to eat, such an unusual flavour, it's a little like eating perfume, but in a good way. The tinned version is sugary rubbish, don't go there, buy yourself some of these ugly, prickly little boogers, peel & taste what they'd eat in heaven, (if there was such a thing of course).

2 comments:

caw said...

Scrummy! I LOVE lychees - but I can find nary a one here. When next I'm in San Francisco, we'll go to the Chinatown markets and I'll see if I can pick up some there. I daren't buy the slop in the tin - imagine how ghastly they would taste. Blergh.
Fresh only is the way to go. Yum.

Anonymous said...

My Pa remembers being in exotic hot spots as a young man and buying branches of them to nibble on while wandering about.
The tinned ones are indeed terrible!