Monday, September 25

Mark Latham is a ...

Complete wanker. Just read this.
He laments, as one of the saddest things he has seen in his lifetime, "the decline in Australian male culture - the loss of our larrikin language and values".
Well I'm old enough to remember what he's talking about. I remember being 18 and walking into a pub full of men and feeling uncomfortable with the stares & the leers and the vague undertow of menace.
I remember being scared walking home at night alone if I chanced upon a group of blokes, out on the town.
That Australian male culture he speaks so fondly of was pretty much a yob culture, a thug culture, a culture where women had very specific roles and woe betide the uppity female who didn't feel like fitting in.
That culture isn't completely gone, it's still around but thankfully it's not quite so acceptable.
I can see why Mr Latham misses it, look at his track record. But me, I'm glad it's not quite so obvious today (there as still pubs I wouldn't wander into alone though - I'm not a wee dafty).

No comments: