Saturday, March 17

I popped out in to the misty air ...

... to hang out some towels, 100% linen towels as it happens, but more about them later.
I went out and thought I'd just check on the taddie annex. We'd moved the first crop of taddies to a larger pot, with more sun you see. Leaving the first pot empty.
And then it rained and rained and rained and rained and rained and rained and rained and rained and rained and rained and rained and rain, and that small pot filled up with beautiful, clean rain water.
Frogs it appears, like nature, hate a vacuum and so we are the proud custodians of two tadpole nurseries.
Anyway, I like to check in on the little swimmers, so I did, only to find a fully-metamorphosized version peeking up at me.Cheeky begger. I have a horrible feeling he wasn't visiting but snacking on his little brothers and sisters (or, perish the thought, children!).Still, I finally had a chance to photograph the bugger and confirm, for myself, our back yard frogs are indeed Striped Marsh Frogs. (You can click a link to hear one singing in that link.)Finally having the chance to get a proper close up look also made me realise how much like my Omas Milord Bronze Arco our froggies are in colouring. I knew there was a reason I was drawn to that pen.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh we hope they make it this time!! I must try get some good photos this winter of our protected western leopard toads who live in the waters at Danie's house. Jake is forbidden from keeping the taddies he catches, just in case they're future WLTs...

Zoomie said...

I once built a little in-ground fountain in a long-ago house, and within 30 minutes of filling it with water, a frog had taken residence. He was not as pretty as your frog and he was very skittish, but I loved him anyway.

Pink Granite said...

Frogs and toads are quite delightful!
Congratulations!
;o)

cookiecrumb said...

Nature is too hard. *rocking*

Roo said...

Cool frogs. When you say they hate a vacuum, I suppose they are no use in water.......

Like the pen ;o)

S said...

it is huge!