Thursday, June 3

Psssst, wanna see some beef?

... last week, or the week before, I can't remember, Italian Food Safari mentioned Bistecca alla Fiorentina.
I casually tweeted a question to @urbanfoodmarket, my new meat hero, wondering if there was any such beef available? Silly question, of course there was.
Today, finally, after much messaging and convoluted and sailing-interrupted arrangements, the puckish Mr @urbanfoodmarket delivered (to my office, the service, o my, I may never set foot in an actual shop ever again) a massive piece of grass-fed happy (well formerly happy) moo cow, 3-fingers thick. Well, 3 of my fingers, 2 of Mr Brown's massive manly man hand fingers.
So, how big is this T-Boned piece of steaky goodness? It's as big as Mr Brown's head. See.For those of you not personally acquainted with the actual dimensions of Mr Brown's bonce I have taken some shots of objects with steak, to assist you in your understanding of the beef's dimensions.
A Granny Smith Apple. A Brown Mouse. A British pound coin and an American quarter dollar. The Loch Ness Monster. A paperback copy of Mr Dalrymple's latest book. A very, very naughty kitten on a totally FORBIDDEN surface where food is prepared. That is all.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

B I G.

@aptronym

Zoomie said...

That's a noble steak, for sure! Let us know how it tastes. As for the naughty kitten, it was ever thus! Knowing it was a losing battle, I kept a wide array of cutting boards and never prepped food on my counters where I just knew my cats had paraded while I was at work. :-)

Ms Brown Mouse said...

@aptronym I'll admit, it's a little intimidating, this steak.
Zoomie, I only hope it stops raining long enough for Mr B to bbq it!
I used to think our cats were good girls who did not jump up ... until I found the paw prints in the frying pan and on top of the fridge!

Zoomie said...

I never had any illusions about my cats - they were devils to the bottom of their little black hearts, but oh, so lovable.

Tim Elwin said...

Ohhhhh yeeeaahhh baby!! i have decided the other one i got cut is all mine!!!!!!! whhaaaaaahhaaaahaa!! oh, Louisa and Ava's too..

Enjoy!

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Zoomie, mine have always been so sneaky - it was years before I discovered their secret!
Tim - Mr Brown swears he could eat it himself but I want to keep him for the long term, so he's sharing!
It's soaking up some EVOO, garlic & rosemary right now, waiting for us to come home and put it near some heat!

Stomper Girl said...

LOLing at the bad kitty. Basil is very interested in the bench, he just knows interesting stuff happens there but he can't quite jump that high yet. Give him a week though. Although, yesterday in one of his attempts to chin himself up he actually chinned up using my (stupidly left near the bench-edge) full bowl of breakfast cereal which tipped all over him and gave him a big fright and made him smell bad. So maybe that will keep him off the bench for a while longer.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Stomper, It may, but I'd check the butter! You know they've been up when there's little lick marks on the butter ;)

Pink Granite said...

Love the photo comparisons!
Chuck thought the beef looked a bit wormy until I explained that was the Loch Ness Monster, not a worm!
BTW, that does sound like wonderful service from Urban Food Market. Going the extra mile makes it so that anything less from other vendors feels vastly inferior!
Enjoy!
;o)
- Lee

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Lee, it's spoiled me rather, the service, I'm not sure I'll ever step into another shop again. It's a return to the days of our grandparents I think, when the butcher and the baker would 'call' :)

e said...

Love the Lock Ness Monster and the kitty on the forbidden surface. One of my girls always goes on the counter when I'm not around to scold her. She thinks I don't know. But if the Lock Ness Monster is smaller than Tigger, that explains why it's so hard to spot.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

E - :) Well, I wouldn't want a fully-grown monster in the house, not enough room!

Zee Poodle said...

MY GOD! That is an entire cow! Loved the photo of Lochie on the steak, so very funny!