Sunday, April 4

I can't remember what it was like ...

... when we first brought Small home, it was almost 18 years ago after all. I think we locked her in the laundry, with a hot water bottle and a basket of woolly rugs. I do not recall her howling all night long.
I do recall bringing Toogie home, we did the laundry thing and found Small was beastly to her, not letting her out of her basket, so we divided the house into 2 for a week or so. Toogie did not howl all night long either.
When we brought Ping home, we did the house divide thing again, Small being Small was not very welcoming. Ping slept with us, she jumped up onto the bed, dived under the covers and slept the entire night through in the crook of my knee. Not a peep. (I'll be honest, she never slept an entire night through ever again and can be a restless bedmate, but quiet, no howling.)
Last night I learned what parents of a new bebe must feel like. The HOWLING and yowling for ages and then, up and kneading and wrestling and romping all the while miaowing and purring. And then, instant snuggle sleep, crash she's passed out mid purr, but for only 40 minutes to an hour, then it's the whole cycle again, and again, and again.
I'm exhausted.
Ping is all cuddlesome again, despite my reeking of vile usurping kitten.

7 comments:

cookiecrumb said...

Maybe we shoulda just had real human babies.

Take turns, you and Mr. B.

xo

Zoomie said...

Wow, I'm surprised by this kitten's insistence on being with people. I always let mine sleep with me - it was part of the reason I wanted cats in the first place - but they didn't howl if excluded from the nuptial chamber. Hang in there and remember that while this may take a week or two, human babies aren't civilized for about 20 years, if then! :-)

The word verification (no kidding) is Patimp.

Pink Granite said...

I haven't had a kitten in the house in two decades; a puppy even longer, because we have adopted adult four legged creatures. But the range of possibilities for that roller coaster period of adjustment nicely follows a proper bell curve!
Please tell Ping we feel her pain.
Please tell Tigger we feel her pain.
And please know we feel your and Mr. Brown's pain as well!
;o)
- Lee

S said...

Oh! I hear you sister!

Stomper Girl said...

Bertie was very noisy for the first couple of nights but they settle down. I think we heartlessly locked him in the laundry for the first one on the breeder's advice but I actually like having a cat in the bed so then he came in with us. Few mornings of being woken by having our toes pounced on and then it was fine.

e said...

Sounds like Ping is already beginning to adjust. It'll take a few days, and she'll make a big fuss, and then it will work out.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

crap, a big long response to you all just got eaten up - buggered if I'm typing it in again - never as good the second time around anyway - thanks for dropping bye now!