Saturday, September 5

In which we are mistaken for New Hampshiremen ...

... After last night I fully expected a lie in, but no, Mr Brown wanted to breakfast and look around. 2 Full American Breakfasts later (groan) we were out and about in the car*.
We oggled beautiful old houses.
Past the Bellevue mansions. Pootled along the Ocean Drive and oggled some more amazing looking homes.Stopped at Green Bridge to see the pond. And the ocean.Aome birdies.And back into town to find Mr Brown his red pants.
We'd spotted a yachty shop and he was sure he'd be able to find a pair in there. And he did. They are pink, of course, I'm sure all the yachty types will tell you they were red and have faded but they come pre-faded folks, they're pink pants. All these big boofy sailing types are pouncing about in pink trousers. We were asked if we were English, again. Funny, we've been picked as English and New Zealanders, but not yet as Australian.
Coming back from the shop someone pointed to our car and said, "O, look, they're from New Hampshire". We tried to look the part, walking like we'd live free or die.The drive back into town was much less fraught. No shouting at all, just (apparently really, really irritating) hand gestures.
Dropped off the car and popped into another diner where we ordered food, so I could use the loo. I had the cutest little mini hamburgers and "french fries" and a glass of Pinot Gris, Mr Brown had one of those stuffed with half a turkey sandwiches we will quite miss when we get home, and a beer. I love that you can get a nice civilised drink in these places. And you can buy booze in supermarkets! So terribly convenient.
It was then a dash back to the hotel to change rooms, as Mr Brown's crew arrived late tonight and we needed to be able to squeeze her in. It's not ideal living conditions but I'll not grumble (too much), sailing is what got me here I guess!




* We'd ordered a small/medium car, when we picked it up Mr Brown's face must have expressed some surprise because the chappie said "were you expecting something bigger?"
"Arrr, no, smaller actually" was the reply.
No, I couldn't tell you what it was, but it was blue.

4 comments:

Zoomie said...

Know what you mean about the tree-lined highways - to be, the east looks like a green tunnel most of the summer. Glad you liked Newport and Pink Granite and that Mr. Brown found his red pants at last.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Zoomie, and I imagine it's simply awesome in reds, yellows and oranges in the autumn. I'm planning a visit for that time of year too ...

Pink Granite said...

Still chuckling over the line: "We tried to look the part, walking like we'd live free or die."!

When Chuck is at the wheel it is almost impossible for me to stop driving from the passenger seat. He sometimes acknowledges my frustration that there are neither pedals nor a steering wheel on my side of the car!

So glad you got to do the whole Ocean Drive tour. You likely drove by Gooseberry Beach where Carrie & Al were married and their reception was "chaperoned" by Hurricane Hanna!
;o)
- Lee

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Lee, it's actually quite difficult to walk like you'd live free or die, particularly when it's not especially true ;)
When my mum was teaching me to drive I'd see her working the imaginary handbrake and brake pedal.