Tuesday, April 29

On cold ...

... Something Lee said in the comments here got me thinking about cold.
I was having a bit of a whinge about how cold it was (got down to 16 degrees folks) and she very gently reminded me how really, actually cold it gets around her way.
Well yes. I am fully aware of how pathetic I've become.
Mr Brown is visiting our old home town, Canberra, today (work, family, the usual). He rang to see how things were going and to comment on how far the old place has become, shopping-wise. But noted I still wouldn't like to move back as "it's bloody, brass-monkey freezing".
He's right, winter back there is below zero stuff! It didn't seem too bad when we lived there. And when visiting Sydney in the middle of winter we'd be in t-shirts, laughing at the weak and bloodless Sydney folk in coats and scarves and woolly hats. Oh how we laughed - superior, winter-coping beings that we were.
Then we moved here.
You acclimatise you see.
16 degrees was a bright, warm winter's day back then. Now it's got me wearing woolly socks and foot doonas (aka down-filled camping booties - feetsie bliss).
I rarely wear a scarf though, that will be the last straw.

4 comments:

Zoomie said...

I can definitely relate to this story - I used to live in Rochester, NY where a warm winter's day is below freezing for a high. Now in California where a really, really cold day _might_ produce a frost. And I whine about the cold days here...

Pink Granite said...

Hi DMM -
Ooops!
I've always lived in cold/four season parts of the country. Where we live now is somewhat colder than where I grew up in Rhode Island, but warmer/milder than when I lived in Vermont and the truly frigid Minnesota!
But my relatives who live in milder to downright toasty parts of the country all report the same acclimation process which leaves them with chattering teeth when it's around 55F/13C!

Happy to hear the water heater is doing exactly what it is supposed to do!
;o)
- Lee
P.S. Resist the scarf at all costs!

Anonymous said...

Zoomie, FROST? I remember frost, no such thing this close to the sea - which keeps my tomatoes happy at least!
Lee - I miss winter, in theory, but suspect it takes longer to acclimatise to cold ;)

e said...

Yup. LA girl here. I'm with you.