Saturday, May 12

I don't know how I managed ...

... before I started writing weekly menus.
A year or so ago I started writing up a menu for the week, and composing a shopping list from that. For instance, this week we're having Moussaka, Orecchiete con Broccoli, Pizza (smoked chicken, green olive & artichoke), Ilva's Lemon Parsley Chicken, Smoked Fish Risotto, Long-Cook Lamb Shanks with White Beans & Tomato and Red Lentil & Herb Soup. Hmm, that's a little meat-centric, I may have to tweek it.
So, anyway, now I don't have to think, "arrrg, what are we going to eat tonight?" I don't buy heaps of stuff "just in case" I don't end up using, I'm not filling the compost bin with expensive, unconsumed fruit & veg, I can do a little prep work the night before, to ease the just-got-home-and-House-is-on-in-15 minutes panic and, there's usually lovely leftovers for lunch.
We aren't married to the list, we can still be spontaneous, but it sure helps lessen the hassle and seriously reduced our take-away costs.

4 comments:

LBA said...

i've thought about it A LOT, but I don't waste anything - I just get creative with stuff that's about to die.

Still, I could be more *creative*

It bugs me, the 'sticking to a list' thing annoys me .. I dunno ...

I've been undecided for about 5yrs now ;)

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Ha, don't fret it, it took me a good 10-12 years or so to start! And life is always throwing a spanner in the works - so I'm glad I never write "the list" in blood (well, not mine anyway).

e said...

I love it! A list. A menu list. A grocery list from the menu list. So simple, yet pure genius. I will start doing that, but will not wait 10-12 years, maybe a few weeks before I get organized. I tend to eat the same stuff, kinda, because it's easy to remember, or variations of the same stuff. Mouse, you're a genius.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

E (blush) ta, though I'm sure it's not an original idea, I must have read it somewhere.
As for eating the same stuff, this helps there, you can see what you did last week (if you are like me and keep the lists - double blush) and every time you see something and thing, "I'd like to try that" you note it down and wack it on the list for the next week. I'll admit, in fits of despair, I've run the same list for 2 or 3 weeks - then when inspiration or happiness strike back, it's changed.